A new room

So time came in our house for the youngest to leave our room. This was important as she is turning one soon and I miss having my room for adult space. So we knew that this meant an overhaul on Lizard's room. I knew I would love for the girls to have a just fun room. Bunk beds was going to be ideal. Now we are the creative family so this meant not just any bunkbed.
Where does one go for inspiration on something like this? To my all time favorite wood building site Ana White of course. She has some wonderful ideas laid out there for us to use for inspiration. I of course found the bed quickly I wanted.

What is more perfect for two little girls than a castle bed? The problem? Well it was not after all a bunk bed. I wanted something that could sleep both my princesses. Both Lizard and Miss Muppet. I have an amazing husband and I showed him this bed. He was amazing and jumped on board with me to create the bed of my dreams for this room. Soon he created on his computer a rendering of a bed I was happy to see and he was going to be happy to build.
So we made adjustments as we needed and set off and got our supplies. First thing we started was painting the walls. I knew this would mean for the first time ever my kiddo would have a painted landscape on the wall. This of course was my domain, my husband is handy, I am creative. He did the basic painting I did the details. (now of course as I sit here now I can tell you the details are not done but hey life happens) My big thing was there was going to be a tree on the wall. I love my tree, it took forever to paint but in the end I can't imagine the room any other way.














While I worked on this my amazing husband was working on putting together the bed. He used the Ana White site for the how to's and he figured out how to make things flush against each other by researching different methods to attach the different pieces together. I did my best to help him but let's face it that is really not my speed. I can sometimes be of more harm than help.




Once we got all the pieces together it was time for a paint job. Now I wanted a castle that well looked like a castle. This meant finding the perfect paint. I knew I wanted something that reminded me of Neuschwanstein Castle. After all this was the inspiration for Cinderella's castle at Disney world. After much time in the paint department I found a paint that appeared to have a stone texture once you put it on the walls and felt like I hit gold.



We got this far and both agreed that it needed a "draw bridge," know we have young kids we just knew we had to be creative with it. We toyed with the idea of "chains" but in the end decided against it. Here is what we did decide on.
















The girls love their room. For now Miss Muppet is still in a crib but her bed is ready and waiting for when she is big enough to sleep in a bed. Lizard happily climbs the stairs to her bed every night.

I know you can't see the murals on the wall and honestly they are unfinished. I need a weekend where I just go for it and get it done. I much prefer spending time with the kids and it is on hold for now. I have two happy princesses and that is all that matters to me. It is played in all the time and was worth every second of taping, and getting told I was "doing it wrong." I do these things for the smiles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Pictures

Christmas Crack?

I Survived