Are you at peace?

I have been having a good day. We went to church this morning. I have to tell you that church is not easy when you are spending most of mass correcting behavior. Now we found a church rather quickly that we both enjoy. We found a church that has a school attached so that if for some reason we no longer care for the public school system she can transfer there. We have toured it and thought the school was pretty nice and family knows people whose children attend there. 
Today's sermon was on the season of advent. The priest talked of taking the time to really know what it is to wait and reflect on what the season means. To know the anticipation of the coming of our Savior. Now the Catholic Church as declared this year (Advent being the beginning of the church year) the year of spreading the faith. A few months ago he suggested finding a person to really introduce to the faith. At the time I didn't think anything of it, I did not even bother getting his sheet with assignments on it. Today I slightly regret it. I fully believe in sharing the word of God, but I also am against peddling religion. It puts me in a rough spot.
I know it is my duty as a child of God to share his love, I just don't think I can force someone to believe something that does not touch their heart the way mine has been touched. I would love to bring someone that has left the church back. I choose to go to church and practice a Roman Catholic faith, but I feel that if you go to another church and are happy with your place with God then good for you. I feel that if you are close to God, He will bring you home at the right time to live with him in Heaven. I don't think I would have felt that way 10 years ago.
I used to not go to church, I was in college and I just did not fee like I had the time. I know there is always time for God, however I made the choice to not put him in the right spot in my life. Once I met my husband I woke up one Sunday and just decided to go to Mass. I have gone pretty faithfully since, there are times we just don't make it due to over sleeping, but we always make an effort. At our last church we were very late to service, we missed half of the Gospel, I refused to go to communion since I had not heard the full word of God. The priest asked after mass why I had not gone (I was VERY pregnant at the time as well) and I explained to him how I was raised and it did not feel right to me. He told me that with as many children as we have God would be happy we made it to church at all and would be willing to forgive something like being late to service.
I have to say I miss Fr. Fitz. He was always so understanding. It was a small town so he knew if we were missing and was always willing to greet us, he really connected with my husband and adored our children. I knew when he said he would miss us, he was being honest. I am hoping to get to know the priest here as well. I hope to send our children to school there one day as well. I hope that I can bring one person to God this year. Or at least see them find peace within. I think we all deserve peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Pictures

Christmas Crack?

I Survived